Here’s the Synch

"What’s the synch?” -Kim Possible
Here’s the synch, I live in Ollantaytambo, Peru, I work for an amazing non-profit, I miss my family and my dogs a lot and often. Those are the basics, but you already know all of that so here’s some juicy gossip on all the details of my oh so thrilling life.

My parents came to visit back in December, and after a 24 hour delay in Dallas, and me stuck alone in Cusco on Christmas Eve, we recovered with a full nine days together here in the Sacred Valley. It was beyond a dream to have my parents here and getting to show them around. We hung out in Ollanta most of their stay at a lovely little hotel, they brought me so many presents and so much food from back home, it was truly marvelous. Can you say Cheeze-It heaven? I can.

We spent our days hiking the ruins here in Ollanta, eating at my favorite restaurants in town, cleaning and fixing up my apartment a bit and some shopping at the artisanal market in town. We went into Urubamba just for one day to show them the market and some of the shops I frequent on the weekends for groceries. 

We took the train to Aguas Clients while my mom slept off her cold my dad and I went out for some pizza, tastings of pisco sours, and of course, Inca Kola. Early the next morning we made our ascent to Machu Picchu, and it was lovely. Truly. Touristy and packed with people yes, but lovely. Great views and amazing to think of the history. In my personal opinion the best part of the day was our hike up Huayna Picchu to look down like little birds on Machu Picchu. The hike was no easy feat, but exhilarating and oh so worth the sweat. Doing it with my mom and dad was so much fun, a great memory we’ll always have together. 

Although right at the beginning of their trip, one of my favorite parts was getting to take my parents on an Awamaki tour up to the community of Patacancha and to watch them have their hands at spinning and weaving here in the Andes! It was so fun to see my life and home through their eyes, fresh and excited. The women and the culture here is unbelievably beautiful, and I’m so glad they were able not just to see it, but to experience it, and appreciate it too. 

We spent our last few days in Cusco, the big city. I’m not going to lie they bought me Starbucks three days in a row. You can call me spoiled, it’s okay. We did lots of shopping as my mom tried to bring back as many memories of this place as possible, we stopped at museums and we ate delicious meals. 

The biggest development of the Cusco leg of our trip was my mommy holding my hand as I had nearly 35 centimeters, (about 14 inches) of my hair chopped off. It was a big change but it was becoming too challenging for me to care for here, and my mom was able to take it back to the states to donate all four of the pony tails. Almost a month later and I’m still adjusting. 

One of the most frequent conversations with my parents on their stay was about our New Years Resolutions. I somehow felt a disconnect from the big change this year. Every year I feel emotional either excited or sad to see the year change, and this year, somehow, I felt so stable and unchanging that well it didn’t feel all that big of a deal. 

In 2017 I wrapped up my time with CISabroad, my first position out of college, got my wisdom teeth removed, spent time in my college town with old friends, went to Florida for a month to paint and do yoga and sit by the pool and read (ahhhh, ’twas the life) I went home in time for my birthday to celebrate with family, applied and then interviewed for one zillion positions, visited my loving grandparents and spent some amazing quality time with them, accepted a job offer, moved to a new continent, hung out in Lima with amazingly generous and loving friends, attended a field school of forensic anthropology and conflict transformation in Ayacucho, made my way to Ollanta to live with a host family and start my new job, went to Paraguay for a weekend, moved into my apartment, went to Cusco, and Puno and Lake Titicaca, and finally, threw myself whole heartedly into my new job. 2017 was a year man, let me tell you. Transition and change and challenges and excitement and terrifying fear, that was 2017 and I totally conquered it all. 

Looking at 2018 however, well, I’ll just be doing more of what 2017 ended with, living in Ollanta and working for this amazing non-profit. It is going to, hopefully, be a great year, but also a stable one, something I quite honestly am looking forward to. Deciding on a resolution was hard, but I settled with painting more just to paint and not to be perfect, and researching and applying to graduate schools, as attending is a goal I have for 2019. 2018 will be the year I lived in Peru, for the full year, and let’s hope it will be trickled with many lessons, much laughter, and a whole lot of adventures.

Since my parents left it’s been back to work and life- full of candy and treats my parents left behind. I’ve started to get homesick again missing food and weekend activities and most of all my dogs. BUT- exciting news! In just 10 days I will be on a plane leaving Peru! 

It’s (mandatory) vacation time as I head to Panama and then Colombia to soak up the sun and enjoy some Caribbean weather! 

 … The absolutely most amazing and best part of this little trip?! I won’t be going solo. Now don’t get me wrong there is a definite time and place for #solofemaletravel I’m one of the biggest advocates for it in fact, but when, almost as a joke I asked my dad if he’d tag along on my trip and he said yes, well there was not a shot in hell was I going to turn him down. So, yes, I’ll be taking a daddy-daughter trip to Panama City and Cartagena with my ole’ pops and I couldn’t be more ecstatic. A trip with the man who taught me to love traveling? Yes, please! We’ve got approximately zero plans beyond feel the sun, eat delicious and fresh fruit and seafood, and something or other about a canal. Oh and I heard there’s a good popsicle shop in Cartagena, so that too. And seeing my dad will surely be the best part, making memories in even more countries.


So that’s life. I’ve been here over seven months, nearly eight. Work is busy but so good. Life is cozy in my apartment. Change is always happening at the office. I’ve cooked some yummy meals lately and I drink more tea than ever here. I want to say I wouldn’t change a thing but getting to see my family more often and my dogs well that I might change that if I could. 


That’s the synch folks, I hope you’ve enjoyed! 

Comments

  1. I enjoy reading your blogs, makes me feel like I am part of your adventure.
    Love, grannnny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Start of a Peruvian Adventure

Chicken Feed and Other Life Lessons

Fleas Are Not For Humans