The Start of a Peruvian Adventure

The past two weeks have been one hell of a whirlwind. To start, on May 30th, around 5:30 pm, I received a job offer that would require me to relocate to a small rural town in the Peruvian Andes. I was struck immediately by panic and sadness, because I knew that I was, of course, going to accept this amazing once in a life time opportunity, and that it would mean leaving all of my friends and family behind in less than a week. By the morning of Friday, June 2nd, I had accepted the position, and knocked my habit of crying. So with that, I went into full on packing mode with a plane ticket that had been already booked for early on June 7th. 

The weekend following was amazing, my favorite food, swinging in the backyard, paddle boarding at Kensington, taking Otis and Oliver on walks around the block, and of course PACKING. How many suitcases was I allowed? How much could each weigh, if I paid overage fees, what clothes to pack, what weather to expect, toiletries, my favorite snacks from home, books and items to make my new apartment feel like home, camera equipment and shoes! There was so much I wanted to shove into four tiny bags, which would soon contain my entire life from home. Deciding what made the cut was the hardest part, especially knowing that I likely won't be able to receive mail or packages reliably in Peru. 

Hours were spent on my bedroom floor with my life spread out into piles of yes and no. Tears were shed. Many snuggle breaks were taken. But somehow I made it.

I even ended up booking a completely different flight to Lima the night before I left due to their increased luggage policy from the cheap airline I'd originally purchased with. One day I hope to psychologically recover from that loss...

To be honest, I have no clue how I pulled myself together to say goodbye to Otis and Oliver, my two 12-year-old Yorkies, the loves of my life, my best friends, the only two I'm sure I won't be hearing from via phone calls, texts, emails, and even visits down here in Peru. Leaving friends that I know aren't the type to visit, and grandparents who simply couldn't swing the ascent to Cusco's 11,152 feet elevation, was the second hardest.

Then comes the hopes and dreams of those to visit! I cannot wait to have friends and family from home arrive to my small little pocket of the world and show them not only daily life in Peru but also one of the seven modern wonders of the world: Machu Picchu, just a short train ride north of my soon-to-be-home.

With hurricane season controlling much of Ft. Lauderdale's air traffic on the 7th, I was delayed in Detroit two hours, and once again, delayed in Ft. Lauderdale another three hours. I finally landed in Lima, Peru after midnight on June 8th. 
With Customs, and getting a visa, and waiting for all of my luggage, I finally left the airport around 2 in the morning, and made it to my first destination around 2:45 in the morning Lima time, aka, 3:45 Detroit time, aka I had been awake 23 hours and 45 minutes, and by the time I got settled and fell asleep, a full 24 hour journey to Lima.

Welcomed with a familiar face, I stayed with dear friends of mine from Athens, Ohio. The family of one of my former figure skating students at Bird Arena, lives in Peru, returning after their father, Luis, completed his masters degree at Ohio University back in 2016 the same year I graduated. They welcomed me into their home with warmth and love that I could have never imagined. From arranging a taxi to pick me up from the airport, to feeding me every meal since I've been here, a shower, and private bedroom to spread out all of my things, Spanish lessons, tours all over Lima, to fun family time with the kids, I will forever be indebted to Vivian, Luis, Dana, and Emilio. Love in a foreign country when everything is just a little bit scary, means so much. I can only hope to one day pay it back to them in equivalent hospitality, and love. 

In fact they were the ones who told me about the job position opening in Ollantaytambo in the first place, so quite honestly I can say none of this would be happening without them and their gracious help and dedication to helping me get to Peru long term.

So from my five day stay here in Lima, I will now head off to meet up with the field school team I will be studying with for the next three weeks in the subject of Transitional Justice. If you don't know what that is, I passionately urge you to do yourself a quick Google; it's truly fascinating stuff. Our first four days will be spent in Lima, and then we will move on to Ayacucho for the remainder of our studies in the field. I will return with them to Lima on July 3rd, and pick up my suitcases from the home I'm staying in now. On July 4th I will fly from Lima to Cusco, and make the drive from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, to stay with a homestay for my first month as I get adjusted to life in rural Peru. 

In August the final transition will take place for work and I will hopefully be moving into an apartment to get settled in for the long haul. Right now the position has a minimum commitment of 18 months, add on my first month of field school, and I will be here for at least the next 19 months.

It is a crazy time of transition and goodbyes and hellos and studying for field school and packing and learning new things. But I'm 23 and I'm so beyond ready for this adventure in my life. 

So hopefully that catches everyone up at least a little bit for now. While wifi might be scarce, I will be trying to write and blog my journey and post updates whenever I can! In the meantime start searching for cheap flights to Cusco, Peru because I cannot wait to welcome visitors once I'm settled in Ollantaytambo!

All my love,

Bri

Comments

  1. Yay Brie!! Can't wait to keep up with your journey. You are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Darling Girl.....you can count on the two of us to try and keep up with your adventurous life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you are happy, have a great time while you are there and be sure to blog so my friend Betty in the U.P. and I can go along on your adventures. love, grannnnny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your next big adventure! Do what you can to make what difference you can for as long as you can. And have some fun along the way. Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Feed and Other Life Lessons

Fleas Are Not For Humans