Karma Chameleon and Other Good Signs

It's the Fourth of July, and as an American, well, that means something.

I'm not saying I'm always proud to be an American, in fact lately it feels quite the contrary. 

That being said the Fourth of July comes with a flood of memories of sprinklers and parades and donuts and barbecue and a million happy childhood memories. For me it also comes with memories of Mexico and Nepal and Croatia. For that I am extremely grateful. 

Today I fly to Cusco. I left field school friends behind this morning, packed up and made my way to my Peruvian family's home in Miraflores to collect my other suitcases and made it to the airport. I've checked my bags with minimal trouble, and found my American self plopped down in an airport food court with McDonald's. That's how I will remember celebrating being American this year. Every year abroad comes with a story, and these French fries in the airport are this years. 

The bonus to this story is that I successfully, and dare I say exceptionally easily, ordered a burger without the meat. Believe it or not, even in my second language, they gave me a burger, get this- with no meat. Incredible. Looks like I can survive in this country. 

My food was delicious and I was starving, having eaten nothing but a granadilla this morning.

Onto security. Past security. Bathroom. Found my gate. Now to sit and wait. Wait for the plane that will fly me off to Cusco, Peru. The city that will provide me groceries, respites, and likely entertainment over the course of at least the next 18 months. 

"Butt in seat" is the phrase I always text my family at this point, once I'm finally in my seat on the plane. Now all I can do is wait and see. 

This day has been filled with many positive signs. Both taxi drivers I had today were exceptionally nice, each of them spoke with me during the rides and helped me out with my luggage. I had easy and enjoyable conversations with two people at my Peruvian family's home, since they weren't home, the housekeeper and the security guard, who graciously helped me move all of my suitcases down stairs and outside. 

As I was getting in my second taxi with all my life possessions to head to the airport Karma Chameleon started playing. I nearly thought I was dreaming, and here's why: on our bus for field school as we traveled through remote villages in the Ayacucho region, originally (before we broke out the Bluetooth) an 80s CD was playing, which included the song Karma Chameleon. It was the first song we heard when we got on our bus the first time in Huamanga and the last one to play when we got off in Hualla (the town we were in the longest, with no internet). Due to these circumstances all seven of us students as well as some of the staff had the chorus of Karma Chameleon stuck in our heads the following two weeks. It became our theme song. Whenever it played we'd all sing along. Whenever it wasn't playing and we were in the middle of a field or on top of an old volcano, we'd sing along. In a hot spring, on a walk, breakfast, lunch, dinner, class, we chanted on "Karma karma karma karma karma chameeeeeeleon." It was our anthem. And the rest of my life I will always hear that song and think about those weeks and those people. So hearing it today, in my first few hours separate from the group, well, I take it as a good sign. 

Sitting on this plane the add for the airline's entertainment magazine has a pink sparkly troll with blue hair on the cover, I also take this as a positive sign. Call me weird but these small signs of ease are keeping me held together and sane today. 

Knock on wood things keep going as they're going. 

I should've been in Cusco by now, but instead we still haven't moved an inch from Lima. If I'm hearing things correctly, now we aren't bringing all the luggage with us because it weighed too much and so we're leaving some of it behind, i.e. likely both of my over weight bags. I was supposed to message someone from work if my flight was delayed but I didn't find out anything until an hour after we hadn't left the ground. I have no wifi here on the plane and therefore can't tell anyone when to expect me. And too, I won't have any clue how to get my luggage now, since I'll be two hours away from the airport. I suppose something was bound to go wrong. I'm upset I won't see Cusco in the daylight now, but mostly just still anxious to get there. I'm so ready for travel to be over with. ... also concerned that the airline won't deliver my luggage to Ollantaytambo for multiple days now. Starting work and meeting people in stinky clothes with no toothbrush or hair brush or... anything for that matter... it's a little concerning you could say. Ugh. I'm running out of patience. 

Well everyone was thoroughly pissed on our flight. I slept. We got off and by a miracle of god one of my checked bags had arrived. From there I didn't see anyone waiting to drive me so I carried my heavy ass luggage over to the lost luggage counter. And waited in the worlds longest line as nearly everyone on my flight was missing at least one piece of luggage. The man at the counter worked hard to speak English which helped considering I was in quite a pickle, exhausted, and therefore not in a place to speak fluid Spanish. The problem was you see, they would be sending the lost luggage to us, our hotel or whatever address we provided, but you see... I don't know an address... so I asked for wifi to look up an address, and contact someone from work to let them know all that had happened and get an address. The wifi worked perfectly and I got all the vague rural Peruvian instructions I needed. Ask anyone of the taxi drivers to take me to Ollantaytambo, just say the plaza, there's only one, have them call me, and I'll come meet you. 

So I got the first taxi driver I saw and he was quite nice, complemented my Spanish and asked about my work (since to get his price down I finally said "no my boss just told me not to pay any more than this much.") Then in some confusion I realized he was passing me on to his friend to drive me the rest of the way. Whatever, just someone get me there. We pulled over and got out of the car to grab my bags, and just as soon the street we were on was swarmed with police on motorcycles, we jumped back in the car, there is no street parking allowed on that street. We turned the corner to meet up with the other driver where some police followed up again- my taxi driver, the first one, explained please we just need to switch this girls bags and we'll be on our way. I think the female cop took one look at what a train wreck I am at the moment and agreed to let them park long enough to switch my bags. From there I was on my way with my fourth taxi driver of the day and yet again complemented on my Spanish. I mean it's the little things right? I'll take what I can get for a long and semi-shitty day.

But wow is my life one wild ride. 

I'm exhausted and have to ride this hour and a half taxi ride with this Peruvian taxi driver whose name I've already forgotten. Just awaiting the day my other bag arrives anxiously. And also a shower, and also wifi to tell my family when I've made it. 

I've been petrified all week, more like all month about this, this move this transition, and honestly I think I just ran out of anticipation and anxiety. It is what it is; que serĂ¡ serĂ¡; what will be will be. Here's to making it to Cusco, being on my way to Ollantaytambo, and making a new life for myself here in Peru. What a 4th of July, and to think the day isn't over yet. 

Now we're stopping for gas, and he asked for a forward on his payment to pay for gas... and now we're driving away and I don't think got gas... 'oy with the poodles already!' 

I made it to Ollantaytambo. I can't believe I'm here. From what I've seen the town looks wonderful. Touristy enough that it might feel like home, but Peruvian enough that everything is old and beautiful and different. The taxi driver worked out perfectly and I've already unpacked my luggage in my room. While I didn't get all my luggage here today, I have more stuff with me today than I have for the past month, it was so fun and exciting to open up bags of packed clothes and remember all the stuff I brought, all the things from home that I have here with me in my new home. I'm nervous for tomorrow, but not even. It is just going to be what it is, that's all it can be. I hope the food here isn't awful, I hope I love my work, and honestly- more than any other emotion right now, I'm excited. Excited to start this journey. 

On that note, I've got my first day of work tomorrow, haha, and a whole lot of other obstacles I'm sure, so I'm off to bed for now, and I will include all the nitty gritty details of life in Ollantaytambo for the next couple years to come! 

4/7/17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Start of a Peruvian Adventure

Chicken Feed and Other Life Lessons

What I'm Thankful For